Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda is written by Tom Angleberger and is on the Master List for the Texas Bluebonnet Nominees for 2011-2012.
 
 
 
     This was a very cute book which would make you think right away is some kind of mystery.  While it was not a mystery, it was a fun read as the story is told from several characters' points of view.  I enjoy books like that because I feel that they have a lot of voice in the writing.  This book really had a lot of voice and interactions with the characters.  It is definitley a book I think that upper elementary boys would enjoy as it has that kind of humor, and you can really get into the mind of how a boy that age would be thinking.  The Origami Yoda is a central figure that is kind of controversial, but it reminded me of cootie-catchers or fortune tellers the my friends and I played with at that age.  The Origami Yoda gave its advice the same way that a cootie catcher gave its advice, and the kids could choose to take it or not.  What was really interesting about this book was the characters.  As a teacher of 6th graders, it made me chuckle when I read some of the conversations the characters had with one another, as they sounded very much like conversations I hear in the classroom, in the halls, and on the playground. 
 
Angleberger, T., & Rosenstock, J. L. (2010). The strange case of Origami Yoda . New York: Amulet Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment