Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Are You There God ? It's Me, Margaret.

Are you There God?  It's me Margaret. is written by Judy Blume and appears on the Challenged Book List.


This is a true coming-of-age story about a girl growing up and learning the lessons of being a young girl.  Eleven-year-old Margaret's family has moved to a small town in New Jersey from their apartment in New York, and she makes friends easily, but definitley notices differences in her family and her friends'.  She has an ongoing relationship with God about her worries and anxieties through short verbal prayers and journal entries even though her family has no religion.  As she journeys through the story, Margaret finds that her curiosity about religion and how she will fit in without it actually draws her further from God.  I thought this book had some great lessons and themes, and most girls can learn quite a bit from it.  It reminded me about several books I have read in the past because of some of the things the characters do and how they treat one another.  Most of it is very spot-on for girls of eleven and twelve years old.  I admired Margaret's relationship with her grandmother and found that it reminded me a lot of my own relationship with my maternal grandmother.  She was very much like Margaret's and it made me remember how valuable those times together were.  

Blume, J. (1970). Are you there God? It's me, Margaret . Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Bradbury Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment